Best Under Armor Shorts | WSYR
Which Under Armor shorts are the best?
The best Under Armor shorts are designed to make your most rigorous workouts and activities easier with advanced technologies like moisture-wicking materials, well-ventilated designs, and lightweight fabrics that added stretch.
A great choice is a pair of Under Armor Women’s Meridian Cycling Shorts, which give you all of that and have pockets for your phone.
What to know before buying Under Armor shorts
About Under Armor Shorts
Under Armor shorts were invented by former college football player, Kevin Plank, in 1996. It all started after the athlete-turned-entrepreneur got tired of changing sweat-soaked shirts in the middle of practice.
After graduating, he invented a shirt that would stay dry no matter how hard the athletes worked. When his first moisture wicking shirts took off, he expanded the brand to include a wide variety of performance apparel, footwear and accessories.
Under Armor Short Styles
Under Armor designs its shorts for different sports to help the wearer perform optimally. There are five popular styles.
- yoga shorts: These tight shorts are soft, hug your body without being too tight, and give you more than enough stretch for your every pose.
- workout shorts: This style gives you coverage while you squat and bend, material that wicks away moisture as your body heats up, and durability for regular use.
- Running shorts: This model usually has a phone pocket in the waistband, so that it does not bounce while you jog. It is usually made from an ultralight stretch fabric that is breathable and moisture wicking to keep you cool.
- golf shorts: They look like classic golf shorts, but are flexible, lightweight and breathable to keep you comfortable and dry all day long.
- basketball shorts: This style is constructed with breathable mesh and moisture wicking fabric. It also usually has a recessed elastic waistband with an adjustable internal drawstring for added comfort.
How to measure the size
To ensure you get a pair of Under Armor shorts in your size, use a fabric tape measure and follow three steps.
- Measure your waistline: Wrap the tape measure around its narrowest point to determine its circumference.
- Measure your hips: Stand with your feet hip-width apart and place the tape measure around your hips. Include the fullest part of your back in your analysis.
- Compare your measurements to each graph: Each short must come with a fitting guide. Whatever your usual size, compare your measurements to the product chart and opt for its recommended size.
What to look for in quality Under Armor shorts
The right length
The inseam is measured from the crotch to the bottom of the hem. Under Armor shorts come in different lengths to ensure you get your favorite coverage.
There are four standard inseam ranges.
- Short: This length should sit high on your thighs with a 1-3 inch hem.
- medium-short: The hemline here usually lands in the center of your thigh with a 4-6 inch inseam.
- medium length: This cut sits low on the thigh with a 7-10 inch inseam.
- Long: This style lands at your knee or lower with an inseam of 11 inches or more.
Shorts with pockets allow you to carry your essentials during training. Typically, you can find workout shorts with pockets at the waist, hips, or back.
Gusset or liner
A gusset is an extra piece of fabric that some manufacturers sew into the crotch of tight training stockings where the four seams meet. It is usually seen on yoga shorts to give you more mobility and comfort.
Lining refers to undergarments sewn into some loose workout bottoms to provide extra support and breathability.
How much you can expect to spend on Under Armor shorts
Depending on the technology and details used to make the shorts, they range from $15 to $70.
Under Armor Shorts FAQ
Should you wear underwear with lined shorts?
A. Usually, people don’t wear underwear under lined shorts because it negates the breathability provided by the liner. The added fabric can also bunch up and cause chafing.
What’s the best underwear to wear under your unlined workout shorts?
A. You can maintain the benefits of your shorts with a pair of Under Armor men’s underwear or women’s underwear, designed to keep you comfortable and dry.
What are the best Under Armor shorts to buy?
Under Armor Top Shorts
Under Armor Women’s Meridian Bike Shorts
What do you want to know: They’re great for biking and yoga, yet comfortable enough for all-day lounging.
What you will love: These shorts have an 8 inch inseam with a pocket at each hip. The waistband is high and wide for more compression and comfort. It’s fitted, stretchy and made from a soft mesh fabric that wicks moisture away from your body to keep you dry.
What you should consider: These shorts do not have a high waist.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon and Dick’s Sporting Goods
Under Armor top shorts for the money
Under Armor Men’s Tech Graphic Shorts
What do you want to know: These lightweight shorts are optimal for training.
What you will love: They’re loose and breathable to help you train harder, and they have a built-in drawcord in the waist to keep them in place. They also have mesh pockets on the hips to carry your essentials and a 10 inch inseam for comfort.
What you should consider: They are not doubled.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Kohl’s
Worth checking out
Under Armor Women’s Play Up 3.0 Shorts
What do you want to know: These are the ideal running shorts for women, lightweight and breathable.
What you will love: These ultralight shorts have a curved hem for mobility and a flat waistband for comfort. They also have pockets at each hip and the inseam is 3 inches long. The fabric is anti-pilling for durability.
What you should consider: These shorts have no built-in underwear.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon, Backcountry, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Kohl’s
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out the daily deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Ella Scott writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.