State Bicycle Co. and the Wu-Tang Clan bring the Ruckus with an array of bikes, gear and apparel
Will the Wu-Tang Clan ever cease to be relevant? Not if State Bicycle Co. has a say in it.
State recently collaborated with the legendary hip-hop group on an exclusive collection of bikes, gear and apparel. The Wu-Tang x State Bicycle collection drops today, and it’s extensive. Three bike models, enough accessories to fill a pro closet, jerseys, bibs and my favorite – a pair of caps.
It’s impossible to go into the details of every product that has received the Wu-Tang treatment, but here are the highlights.
Wu-Tang Clan x State Bicycle Co.
As you’d expect, the honeypot here is in the limited-edition bikes. Three of State’s most acclaimed releases – the Klunker, Core Line and 6061 Black Label – feature Wu-inspired black and yellow trim.
Klunker killer bee
State describes the Klunker (MSRP $500) as a retro-inspired mix that uses a beach cruiser frame, mountain bike tires and BMX bars. And in a way, this combination sums up the spirit of 1990s hip hop.
Loud Wu-Tang Clan grips and a full black leatherette saddle accent the Klunker’s sunny yellow steel frame and high-angle BMX handlebars. State adds a bottle opener to the seat tube for kicking – you know, where you usually find a bottle cage.
- Sized for riders 5’5″ to 6’3″
- Frame: Durable steel frame and fork with 5 year warranty
- Handlebar: BMX style with 7″ rise, 30″ extra wide with custom Wu-Tang Clan grips
- Wheels: Extra durable 36h BMX style rim with 2.4″ CST Patrol tires
- Saddle: retro style leatherette comfort saddle
- Gear: 42t crank with 22t coaster style sprocket for cruising
- Brakes: Coaster brake – Just pedal backwards
- Pedals: MTB style flat pedals
- Extras: Bottle opener included
The Core Line (complete: $450 MSRP, frameset: $200 MSRP) is perhaps State’s most popular and iconic build. People (myself included) go for the Core Line because it looks good, fits well, and is one of the most affordable singlespeed/fixie options out there.
The Wu-Tang influence in the Core Line limited edition is discreet. Preserved condition with an all black frame, seat and handles, then punctuated the design with bright yellow hubs and some matching clan details.
- Frame: Durable steel frame with seat support brackets and cable stops.
- Dropouts: horizontal dropouts with integrated chain tensioners
- Wheelset: Deep V wheelset with 40mm high flange hubs with sealed bearings
- Flip-Flop Hub: Features a 16T freewheel and fixed-gear cog – Easily ride fixed-gear or single-speed
- Gear ratio: 44×16
- Handlebars: choose rise bars with Wu-Tang grips (standard) or Bullhorn or Drop bars with handlebar tape
- Brakes: front and rear caliper hand brakes
- Pedals: Platform pedals
- Saddle: Synthetic leather saddle with steel rails
- Four frame sizes to fit any size rider from 5’0″ to 6’2″
“W” 6061 black label
State’s 6061 Black Label build (complete: $750 MSRP, frameset: $400 MSRP) is the premium option here—ultra-lightweight and built for agility. As with all of its 6061 Black Label bikes, this edition uses a double butted aluminum frame with a tapered head tube and sits on an Essor USA full carbon fork. A light and stiff crankset with a 144 BCD, mid-weight wheels and sealed hubs make the 6061 a versatile performer.
The Wu-Tang’d out 6061 picks up a similar pattern to the Killa Beez Core Line – mostly black, with pops of yellow and clever custom detailing.
Black Tag 6061 Specifications
- Frame: 6061-grade double butted aluminum with tapered head tube
- Fork: Full carbon fiber fork and steerer tube by Essor USA
- Stalls: Aluminum clad horizontal stalls
- Wheelset: Black Label Mid Profile Wheels
- Flip-Flop Rear Hub: Low-Flange Sealed Hub – Easily ride fixed-speed or single-speed (with added freewheel)
- Crank: Black Label Track CNC Crank – 170mm
- Platter: 144 BCD
- Gear ratio: 48×16
- Helmet: FSA No.42/ACB – Integrated and sealed
- Stem: Oversized 31.8mm clamp diameter with ext. 90mm.
- Handlebar: Compact drop bar or wide rise bars with Wu-Tang grips
- Brakes: front and rear caliper hand brakes
- Pedals: Includes Wellgo’s alloy pedals with toe cages
- Seatpost: 27.2mm
- Saddle: Premium aero racing saddle
- Tyres: CST 25c tire set
- Size: 6 frame sizes to fit any size rider from 4’10” to 6’6″
State Bicycle x Wu-Tang Add-Ons, Kit and Availability
As for the bangs, State rolled out two styles of Kill Beez detailed leatherette saddles, a roll-style bar bag, black and yellow Wu-Tang rods and rod cap, “W” handles, handlebar tape and even custom deep Vs. fixed gear wheels.
And to top it all off, State rolled out an entire Wu-Tang kit, which uses mostly recycled REPREVE polyester.
The Wu-Tang x State collection has been online since February 25. Go to the collaboration page and go get some.